If you need a more accessible version of this website, click this button on the right. Switch to Accessible Site

WARNING

You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

Close [x]

Contact Us

RSS Feed

Posted on 12-13-2018

How To Prepare Your Pet for the Holidays

Think Twice About Table Scraps

The holidays are right around the corner and while sneaking your pet table scraps or letting them clean the dishes may seem harmless, many holiday foods can actually be harmful to pets. Keep your pet safe and be sure to keep them away from these foods:

  • Fatty Ham and Pork Products
  • Turkey Bones
  • Onions and Garlic
  • Stuffing
  • Mashed Potatoes
  • Raisins and Grapes
  • Chocolate Desserts

Decking the Halls

Festive decorations can add to the holiday spirit but be careful where they are placed as they can be risky temptations for your pet.

  • Christmas Trees: Trees easily tip over from pets climbing or playing with the lights and ornaments. Do not add aspirin, sugar, or any additives to the water in the base of your tree as these can be toxic.
  • Holiday Decorations: Tinsel can be enticing but, if consumed, it can cause intestinal blockages and breakable decor can cause injuries.
  • Electric Lights: Chewing on cords can cause an electric shock and/or burns to the mouth.
  • Candles: Candles are attractive to pets (especially cats) so never leave a pet alone in an area with a lit candle as it could result in a fire.
  • Festive Plants: Keep poinsettias, lilies, holly, and mistletoe up and away from pets as they can be toxic if ingested.

Hostess With the Mostest

Be prepared:

  • Establish a quiet room or place for your pet to retreat.
  • Watch the exits when guests are arriving or leaving to ensure pets don't get out.
  • Clear food from your table and counters.
  • Make sure the lids on trash bins are secure.

If you think your pet has ingested something poisonous and/or is showing symptoms of illness, contact your veterinarian or one of these helplines:

 Pet Poison Helpline – (855) 764–7661

 ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center – (888) 426-4435

 Poison Control – 1 (800) 222-1222

There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.

Post Comment