Posted on 02-19-2018
February is Spay and Neuter Awareness Month! You may have heard that spaying or neutering your pet has benefits; But what are those benefits? From health and behavioral to even being more cost-effective in the long term, here are 6 benefits of Spaying or Neutering your cat or dog!
1. Spaying your female pet before their first heat is best practice. They’ll be less likely to get diseases such as pyometra (a fatal uterine infection), uterine cancers and breast tumors.
2. A neutered male cat or dog is less likely to have prostate issues or get testicular cancer.
3. Spayed female pets won’t go into heat. This reduces the unwanted behaviors that go along with their cycle such as, yowling and frequent urination in female cats.
4. Male pets that are neutered have fewer aggression issues, are less likely to mark their territory with strong-scented urine, and less likely to run away or roam in search of a mate.
5. The cost of spaying or neutering your cat or dog is less than the cost of raising puppies or kittens for a year.
6. If your pet is spayed or neutered then it means fewer puppies and kittens going into shelters. Not only will you be benefiting your pet, but you’ll help with the shelter overpopulation issue!